Listening to you

We want local people to receive first class care and we really hope this happens – but we also know that sometimes things go wrong. If you don't have a good experience, we want to know about it so we can learn from it and do better next time.

We take feedback and complaints very seriously - and we promise to listen and understand. We also promise that if you do make a complaint this won't affect the treatment or care you or your family receive.

We're always happy to help if you are unsure who to direct your complaint to.

Who do I contact if I have a concern, complaint or feedback?

GP practices, pharmacies, dental practices and opticians

A formal complaint about any aspect of your, or a relative's healthcare can be made to the provider of the treatment, or the organisation who buys the services. Complaints should be made within 12 months of the event or incident about which you wish to complain.

If your issue or complaint relates to a GP practice, pharmacy, dental practice or optician, we would suggest that you contact the appropriate Practice Manager or pharmacist in the first instance. Alternatively you can contact NHS England, as this is the organisation that buys these services. NHS England can be contacted on 0300 311 22 33 or by emailing This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Alternatively you can write to:

Complaints Manager 
NHS England 
PO Box 16738 
Redditch B97 9PT

NHS 111, community, hospital, mental health, patient transport and 999 services

If your complaint relates to community services (such as district nursing and therapy services), hospital services, mental health services or ambulance services, we would suggest that you contact the healthcare provider directly;

Alternatively, you may contact the This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

We provide a PALS (patient advice and liaison service) which gives advice and support to patients, families and carers. We are there to listen to concerns and suggestions and welcome feedback on healthcare services we commission.

The Patient Experience Service operates Mon-Fri 0900-1700 on 01372 201685 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. By post: Surrey Downs CCG, Cedar Court, Guildford Road, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT22 9AE. SMS: 07747 476511. 

Please note that due to COVID-19, all our offices are closed for routine business. Post is not being collected. If you wish to make a complaint, please contact us using either our email address or telephone number (detailed below).


Complaints sent by post will not be handled until further notice.



Surrey Downs CCG in-house and hosted services

There are also a number of services that we host in-house and on behalf of all Surrey CCGs, and these include: NHS Continuing Healthcare and NHS Funded Nursing Care; Individual Funding Requests; and Medicines Management. If you have a complaint relating to these services, please contact our Patient Experience Service using the details on this page.

Please refer to our Complaints Policy to understand how your complaint will be handled.

The CCG's Commitment to You

  • To acknowledge your complaint in writing within 3 working days. If you email us with your complaint, please remember to include your postal address as well.
  • To maintain your confidentiality. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, we will need their permission in writing that they are happy for you to make the complaint on their behalf and for it to be investigated.
  • To ensure your complaint is investigated by the right organisation. Only on receipt of written consent from you to share your information.
  • To ensure you understand why a different organisation might be best placed to investigate your complaint.
  • To keep in contact with you when your complaint is about the CCG’s commissioning function, especially when the investigation is taking longer than expected.
  • To investigate and respond to you in writing within 25 working days when your complaint is about the CCG and its commissioning arrangements. If another organisation has accepted responsibility for investigating your complaint, they will have their own policy for investigating complaints and responding to you.
  • To learn from your complaint and use this learning to improve services for patients and carers, in collaboration with providers and other CCGs
  • To provide an annual report of complaints for the Governing Body.

Getting support when making complaint

Making a complaint is not always easy to do. If you need independent advice or support you can contact the Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service. This is provided by Healthwatch Surrey in partnership with Surrey Independent Living Council (SILC). Visit the SILC website for more information.

Contact details for the Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service:

  • Website:
  • Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Phone: 01483 310500 Open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays)
  • Text: 07704 265377 

I am still not satisfied - what can I do?

If you remain dissatisfied with the response you receive from either the provider or from us, you can ask the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman to review your case. You need to do this within 12 months of the event which prompted your complaint. Please note that if you have already made a complaint to the service provider, we as the commissioner will be unable to re-investigate the same concerns. In this situation you will need to approach the Ombudsman.

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman can be contacted on 0345 015 4033, or you can write to:

Parliamentary and Health Service
11th Floor Millbank Tower

If you don’t want to make a formal complaint but need some assistance

Patient Advice and Liaison Services (PALS) are provided by various NHS organisations such as hospitals, community services and mental health services to help address immediate issues e.g. when your appointment has been scheduled, to book an interpreter.

Contact PALS in the relevant organisation if you have a concern e.g. when your appointment might be; a question or simply wish to make an enquiry.

Go to the websites listed above to find details of PALS in different organisations.